Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I'm NOT "that" mom...

I have been having some deep reflection lately on my mom skills. I was pondering going up the hill of pain and death. After the trip we met Cara and her kids at Mcdonald's for a treat and play time. I watched moms at Mcdonald's. I don't think I am "that" mom. The mom that hovers over her kids to make sure they are ok. That wipes their mouth after every bite. That gets down and plays with them all the time.
You know, the one whose kids know all the answers in church. The one who makes her kids matching tote bags for church. The one who has their child read church books and the Friend in church. Unlike myself who forgets to screen the church bag before we sit down in Sacrament meeting and naked barbies come out.
Mine cries when Sharing time has presents as an object lesson but there is no birthday cake.
In fact, I'll confess. I hide from my kids. When we are at Grandma's I like to hide out where they can't find me sometimes. My kids love songs they shouldn't. They think burping and farting is hilarious. I often look at "those moms" and feel bad.
Today was one of those days.
But then when we snuggled tonight to watch a movie before bed and they fought over who got to lay next to me and literally piled on top of me, I knew I was ok. Maybe not the best mom, but they'll take me for now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, Allison, you are a fantastic mom! "Those" moms are ok, but so are you!

Sarah Humble said...

Those "other" moms are boring. I hope I turn out to me "your" kind of mom. :)

Heather said...

You are an awesome mom! You are fun and let your kids be kids and you are already teaching them a great moral foundation!

Bailey Bunch said...

Oh my gosh, Allison!:) It has been soooooo long since we have seen or heard from you guys. This is Rachel Bailey. Where are you guys now? Your kids are so adorable. How is Sam? Ty and I are great. We live up here on Snoqualmie Ridge in a cute little house and Ty works for Microsoft. We have one little girl, Isabella who we adopted through the church. Check out a blog, www.rachelandtylerbailey.blogspot.com. Also, email me, rachieisabailey@hotmail.com. I hope you guys are great!:)